Acquire specialised skills
Gain proficiency in administering screening tools and learn how to support children with mild developmental needs as a Learning Support Educator.
Advance your career
For preschool teachers who have been practising for at least 2 years and wish to be a fully trained Learning Support Educator.
Be awarded with 2 Post-Diploma Certificates in the Foundations of Learning Support in Pre-schools and in Learning Support Practice.
Note: This course will be conducted via online learning until further notice.
Skills-Based Modular Courses (SBMC) and Professional Development Programme (PDP)
Modules in this course are offered as Skills-Based Modular Courses (SBMC). Applicants under the Professional Development Programme for Teachers [PDP(T)] may also apply for these modular courses. Learn more here.
SkillsFuture Study Award for Early Childhood Sector
For Singapore Citizens with at least 3 years of work experience in the early childhood sector, you may wish to consider applying for the SkillsFuture Study Award for Early Childhood Sector. Awarded recipients will receive a bond-free cash award of $5000 which can be used to defray out-of-pocket expenses associated with the course that you are embarking on. For more information on the award and its eligibility criteria, please click here. For enquiries, please contact ECDA_PP@ecda.gov.sg.
What You Will Learn
Click here for a complete list of modules that will be covered in the course.
To be eligible for SDELS [PDC 1 only], candidates need to meet the following criteria:
Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education-Teaching (DECCE-T) or acceptable equivalent; or
Diploma in Special Needs (DISE); or
Certificate in Special Needs (CISE) and 2 A-level credits; or
Diploma or Degree in a related field (Psychology, Social Work, Human Services) from a recognised tertiary institution; and
Have worked in an early childhood setting.
In addition to the above requirements, candidates for SDELS (both PDC 1 & PDC 2) are required to:
Be hired as LSEds by ECDC or Therapy Hubs that provide the Development Support (DS) and Learning Support (LS); and
Have at least 1 year of working experience with children.
- Completion of PDC 1 is a pre-requisite for PDC 2.
- Candidates must qualify as L2 teachers and hired as LSEd before taking up PDC 2.
- Candidates who do not have early childhood training but have at least an equivalence of a Polytechnic Diploma and found to be suitable by ECDC or Therapy Hubs for the role of an LSEd can embark on 120 hours of Child Development modules from the DECCE-T offered as Skills-based Modular Courses (SBMC).
Upon successful completion of the 2 PDCs within the 2-year validity period, graduates will be conferred the SDELS by NIEC and will be fully trained as Learning Support Educators.
To be confirmed.
Other funding support and financial schemes may be available.
Find out more here.
Open For Application Soon
Day & Time
- Course schedule and venue are subject to changes. NIEC reserves the right to reschedule/cancel any programme and amend information without prior notice.
- Classes will only commence if the minimum class size is met. A confirmation email will be sent to you at least 3 weeks before course commencement.
Before You Apply
Securing a practicum centre
The practicum module is an important and crucial component of your practice-oriented learning for course completion. Applicants must have successfully secured a practicum centre at an early childhood development centre at the point of application.
- Company-sponsored applicants: Your practicum centre can be the preschool you are currently working at.
- Self-sponsored applicants: Click here for a list of early childhood development centres. Please contact the centres directly to apply.
Please note that practicum for this course will begin approximately 9 months from course commencement date.
Documents to prepare
- Image of your NRIC (front and back)
- Highest formal education qualifications (Certificates and transcripts)
- Recent digital photo with a white background
- Past employment letter to prove a minimum of 1 year of work experience with children
- If you are currently working in a preschool:
- Employment Letter
- If you are under company sponsorship by a preschool employer:
- Company Sponsorship Declaration Form (to be completed by you and your employer, and submitted as part of your admission documents)
Have questions? Talk to us!
(Mon - Fri, 9am - 4pm)
Ms Jolene Teo
Phone: 6904 2623